Mentoring Minds Pre-Press Technician
Mentoring Minds promises to be the publisher of education materials that connects with results-driven educators by designing what they would if they had the time and resources.
Mentoring Minds is one of the fastest growing education companies in the country because of our commitment to develop affordable, effective learning tools that help children think critically, giving them the skills to succeed not just in the classroom, but in life.
Mentoring Minds was rated number 11 in the Best Companies to Work for in Texas, Small Business category and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reports to: Design Manager
Use InDesign to format and combine text, data, photographs, charts, and other graphic art or illustrations into prototypes of pages and other documents that are to be printed. Requires the ability to create the graphics that accompany text, find and edit photographs and other digital images from pre-approved sources, and manipulate the text and images to display information in an attractive and readable format.
- Works with Product Development to produce various products in the forms of books, booklets, wheels, charts, and digital materials
- Compiles content supplied by teachers or outside writers
- Makes corrections as directed
- Creates layouts and graphics for products
- Creates, Follows, and/or Reviews various technical elements of the file
- Naming of file
- Naming of file components
- Style sheets
- Ensure images are properly tagged with source information
- Ensure spell check has always been performed
- Auto page numbers
- Master Pages utilized when appropriate
- Layers utilized when appropriate
- Inks used are accurate for printing of document
- Images are proper resolution for printing requirements
- Section and section numbering is utilized when appropriate
- Copyright year is correct
- Pre-Press Specific Duties
- Runs Preflight to ensure files will pass preflight various printers
- Ensures files follow specifications for various printers
- Properly fixes items that fail Preflight
- Uploads files to various printers using various upload protocols
- Ensure that requirements are clearly understood and implemented
- Review author materials for completeness and compliance with Mentoring Minds guidelines; resolve issues with help of Project Manager
- Ensure that production schedules and prepress service standards are strictly followed
- Perform other job assignments as prescribed by the Project Manager and/or Chief Operations Manager
- Must be an advanced user of Adobe products: Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Must be comfortable in a Mac environment.
- Minimum two years of prepress experience.
- Some simple math calculations and computation of ratios to scale graphics and artwork will be required.
- Eye for detail is crucial. Majority of work is considered highly detail-oriented and is always subject to the pressure of deadlines.
- Prior book publishing experience would be an asset
- High School Diploma or higher
- Experience with Content Management Systems preferred
- Excellent graphic design skills
- Highly self-motivated
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- High level of initiative to achieve Mentoring Minds service level goals
- High degree of professionalism
- Ability to make sound business judgments to meet customer goals in the most cost-effective way
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as required
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills