Lead the Way (Part 2)
Tips for Today’s Administrators
Teachers desire great leadership! They often look to their principal for inspiration and encouragement. Encouraging teachers with genuine praise can change a teacher’s total outlook. Here are a few simple ideas to help you become an inspirational leader:
- Always encourage teachers to do what is best for their profession, school, and students. When leaders make teachers feel like professionals, they are more willing to do whatever it takes to be successful.
- Take the time to visit as many classrooms as possible each day. Teachers truly enjoy administrators coming in their classrooms and observing daily activities.
- Create an environment in your school where conversations are invited through questioning and sharing of ideas. Look for opportunities to talk personally with staff.
- Be visible and accessible, spending as little time as possible behind closed doors.
- Share your beliefs and expectations. People want to know what a leader believes and what he/she expects.
- Take time to show appreciation by sending teachers thank you notes, or small, tangible tokens of appreciation. (e.g., an apple, candies, bookmarks, etc.)