2018–2019 Total Motivation UpdatesMay 9, 2018
For the 2018–2019 school year, we are releasing 3 significant updates to Total Motivation for North Carolina customers. Every year, our customers give us valuable feedback on our products, insight into what’s working, and ideas for improvement. And just like teachers and students, we’re committed to continuous growth. The 3 updates outlined in detail below include:
- NCSCoS Alignment
- New Digital Platform
- New Item Bank Add-On: Itematica™
We combed through Total Motivation Math and ELA standard by standard and made comprehensive revisions in order to ensure precise alignment to the North Carolina Standard Course of Study.
- Content has been revised standard by standard to ensure precise alignment to the North Carolina Standard Course of Study for Math and English Language Arts, Grades 1–6.
- Each instructional component in the Teacher Edition includes context for how the activities in the Teacher and Student Editions can work together.
- Each activity in the Teacher Edition includes suggested time frame and student groupings.
- Critical Thinking Traits, a new section in each Teacher Edition unit, provides information about incorporating 9 Traits of Critical Thinking™ into instruction.
- Teacher Reflection, a new section in each Teacher Edition unit, provides teachers with the opportunity to reflect on instructional activities, student understanding of the focus unit, and impact on future instruction.
- The Teacher Edition features spiral binding for ease of use.
- For Math Only:
- New activity page in each Student Edition unit reinforces unit vocabulary.
- Expanded assessment pages in each Student Edition unit include a variety of selected-response and test-formatted items, as well as open-response items, all targeted to the unit’s focus standard.
- For ELA Only:
- Each Student Edition unit begins with an “I will” learning target statement based on the unit’s focus NCSCOS.ELA.
- New activity pages in each Student Edition unit include (a) selected-response items based on the grade band’s grammar and conventions continuums, (b) constructed-response items based on the unit selection and the unit’s focus NCSCOS.ELA, and (c) a writing prompt for a full-length opinion piece, informative/explanatory text, or narrative connected to the unit selection.
- Teacher Edition units include scoring rubric or criteria to support teacher evaluation of students’ written responses for constructed-response assessment items and the writing prompt.
New Digital Platform
Total Motivation’s online platform was overhauled and reimagined for the 2018–2019 school year to resolve accessibility and user experience issues. Launched in August 2018, the retooled digital platform is now more intuitive for teachers. Features of the new online platform include:
- Whiteboard compatibility
- 1-to-1 licensing for teachers
- Access to Total Motivation print content
- Compatibility with any modern web browser (on desktop, laptop, tablet)
- Additional features to be announced and implemented during the 18–19 school year
Learn more about our new digital platform here!
New Item Bank Add-On
Itematica™ is our new digital assessment tool for benchmarks, quick exit tickets, and everything in between. Choose pre-built assessments from the library or customize your own. Itematica integrates content from Inspect® Item Bank, with over 100,000 items aligned to Math, ELA, Science, and History state standards for K-12. Features include:
- 500+ pre-built assessments, including formative assessments, performance tasks, benchmarks, and end-of-year (EOY) assessments.
- Teachers can assign assessments for online completion. Itematica enables online work capture, progress reporting, data export, and EOY data rollover.
- Item bank includes all item types currently used in high-stakes testing, including technology-enhanced items such as drag and drop, graphing, and technology-enabled listening.
- Optional add-on bundles:
- Quick Checks includes 600+ short, fixed-form assessments containing 5–7 items based on content standards. In addition, 120+ K-1 assessments provide for developmentally appropriate formative assessment in early elementary.
- NGSS Formative Assessments provides 38+ pre-built assessments for grade 3–12 that address NGSS Performance Expectations as well as three-dimensional learning. A performance task is included for grades 5–12.
If you have questions about any of these updates, or if you’d like to see a sample of the new NCSCoS-aligned content, please contact your Account Executive or our customer service team.